YOUTH ADVISORY COUNCIL
WHO ARE WE?
We are the YES Coalition’s YAC – or the Youth Exploring Stewardship Coalition’s Youth Advisory Council. We are 10 high school students from across Colorado who are passionate about nature and stewardship, and are ready to make an active difference in our communities. We serve three-month renewable terms. We live in rural Colorado, urban cities, and everywhere in between. We represent many aspects of Colorado’s youth community including diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We organize outdoor service projects for other youth, promote the youth voice on stewardship and environmental issues, advise stewardship organizations on youth-related issues, build leadership skills and experience, collaborate with and learn from our peers, plan the annual YES Youth Conference, and get to know individuals from all sorts of stewardship organizations doing amazing work for Colorado.
WHAT DO WE DO?
WHY DO WE DO IT?
We do this work because we are invested in our communities and believe that all people are stewards of this planet. We know that youth bring creative insight and solutions to problems that our communities face. And we know how helpful it is for our futures to gain leadership and organizing experience.
- Leadership Experience
- Networking Opportunities with Outdoor Stewardship Organizations
- Project Management and Event Management Experience
- Access to new people and new ideas
- To be a part of Something Bigger
- To introduce others to Nature, Stewardship, and Environmental Opportunities
- A $100 Term Completion Stipend if you are chosen to & follow through on serving a full term on the YES Youth Advisory Council!
WHAT DO WE GET OUT OF IT?
How can you be involved?
- Share the Youth Application Widely! The YES Youth Advisory Council is now accepting Youth Applications here. Deadline is Sunday, December 20th.
- Who can apply to be on the YAC? Current 8th-12th graders.
- Our goal is to have a team of 10 who are diverse in terms of locations (rural/urban, Denver/FoCo/Boulder, etc), background, perspective, and identity.
- Join us December 10th for a fun & fast-paced Pilot Pitch Night! On Thursday, December 10th from 5-7pm, we will be holding our first YES YAC One Time “Pitch Night” to get youth input on a variety of projects (perhaps even one of yours?). This will be a virtual event and there is no cap to registrations. Please invite your entire youth network. And, you (stewardship professionals) are also invited to attend! Click here to Register for Pitch Night!
- Have a project you want to showcase and get input on from the youth at Pitch Night? Then fill out the Project Application to be considered for this awesome first round.
- Even if you don’t have a project to solicit feedback on, we’d love for our YES Coalition members to join in on the fun as observers. Let Natasha or Maddy know if you’d like to observe or volunteer to support facilitation (facilitation is a 3 hour commitment: 1 hr of prep, 2 hrs of work the night of).